Mr. 2Kay Elevated Concert held at Aztech Arcum on June 17, 2018. It had an overload of Port Harcourt artistes and top guest artistes.
The event was slated to commence at 4pm, but once again “Nigerian time” happened. It was unnerving that guests who arrived promptly to get front-row positions were unapologetically punished by being made to stand long hours in the sun until 5:04pm when admission into the hall began. Sad and frustrating!!!
Upon admission into the hall, there was no activity until 6pm, when music finally began to play. The introduction/welcome address was eventually made at 6:44pm. This just highlighted the obvious stark ineptitude of the organisers in the preparation of the event.
The event finally kicked off at 7.06pm. The rave at the beginning was fantastic as the organizers were fortunate to have enlisted the services of a certain hype man who effortlessly jolted the attendees to life. In a short while, the zone had become a full blast party. Kudos to him for rousing us. See video of the concert-turned-party.
The event had (literally) tons of Port Harcourt artistes…too many to have kept track of. Guests hit and went beyond the point of diminishing returns, but the opening and upcoming artistes were still incessant in their numbers. Many guests got tired of waiting for the main artistes and left, while those who remained grumbled and repeatedly demanded the guest artistes. There was a switch of MCs some time in the concert as Alex of BBN took over. She aided in the reviving the atmosphere by serving the audience various dance steps. Alex is a phenomenal dancer shaaaaaa!! Special kudos to her.
Eventually, Charles Okocha (amoshine) took to the stage and of course, his presence was electrifying.
Other major performing artistes like Sky B, Timaya, Harry Song, Mr 2Kay himself, DJ Jimmy Jatt played their parts.
For a show that started on a terrible note, it certainly had a happy ending. Only wrinkle to the happy ending is the theft of a phone during Harry Song’s performance which expectedly caused a bit of a ruckus.
Curiously and to our disappointment, some of the advertised major artistes like Iyanya, MI, Skales, Ill Bliss and Kiss Daniel were absent.
The event came to an end at 2:37am.
- All the DJs who spun were lit!!! Together, we connected and journeyed through the annals of music’s history
- Food vendors were made available. Guests had no need to travel for refreshments.
- The restrooms were more than adequate and thoroughly clean.
- Kudos to Mr Amonshine and Timaya, who gave gratitude to God and their fans for the immense support in their careers; and offered words of encouragement to fans and upcoming artistes. It is nice that fans are recognised as a major part of their story.
- Absolute disrespect for time.
- It is unprofessional to keep guests waiting, and worse still, baking in the sun. Proper preparation should be made next time.
- No regrets were given for the absence of some of the major artistes. Could this have been a tool for publicity and enticement of guests?
Mr. 2Kay Elevated Concert scores a 7/10 on the K ‘n’ K wow-meter
What’s been your experience: deserving of some hard Knocks or worthy of Kudos? Please share with us in the comments below.